OK- I’m in need of some serious running advice.
First off, treadmill running counts, right? I know it’s different and I want to run outside, but I need to figure a few things out first.
Yesterday, I ran just under four miles in 45 minutes. I know- very slow. Keep in mind that I’ve been running on and off for a while now, and just started to seriously get back into it a couple weeks ago. That near-four miler is the farthest and longest I’ve ever run! I’m super proud of myself for doing it at all.
There are two main problems that I’m experiencing during my runs and I’m not sure what to do about them. So, let’s see if you can help me out:
- Around mile two, the inside of my right ankle starts to hurt. It’s bearable at first, and then it gets worse. A lot worse. I had to take 2 two-minute walking breaks yesterday in order to continue. By the time I got home, my ankle was swollen, and it still hurts today.
- At around 3.5 miles, I started to have horrible stomach pains. I kept going to until I reached around 3.75 miles and then had to stop. The pains stopped when I walked and came back when I ran. So annoying! What is this? I hear it’s common. Help!
Things to consider before giving me advice:
- I used to work at a running store and was fitted for running shoes in April. I have a mid-stability shoe which helps with my over-pronation–so I don’t think that’s what’s wrong.
- I am going to see a Sports Medicine Doctor in the beginning of August for a different reason, so I’ll probably inquire about it then. (The other reason has to do with my shoulder–I hurt it a while ago, and it’s been bothering me a lot in Body Pump)
- I ate an hour before my run-so my stomach wasn’t full.
- I’ve been running at average speeds of around 5.3-5.7 mph at a .5-1% incline. During this particular run, I had to slow down to 5.1! I also didn’t run on an incline this time.
- If it weren’t for my ankle and my stomach, I felt totally capable of completing the entire four mile run. I was actually feeling really optimistic and excited about it until around 2.5 miles in. I have the stamina to keep running–it’s just my darn ankle that’s keeping me from doing so!
On to zee eats:
Oats On The Balcony This Morning (I create my own acronyms)
- 1/2 cup Oats
- 1 cup Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Banana, sliced
- Tsp cinnamon
- Peanut Buttah
I went to Body Flow this morning. It was glorious. I needed to take a break from intense workouts since my ankle and shoulder are pretty much useless at the moment. A Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates class was just enough. Perfect, actually.
When I got home, I took a special picture of the sweet potato battle wound on my bicep just for you…
Yes- I said sweet potato battle wound. As I was taking sweet potato fries out of the oven last night, the corner of the baking sheet kissed my arm. It was a pretty nasty burn. Oh, the pain I endure for sweet potatoes. Sigh.
After I took a million pictures of my left bicep, I made a smoothie, naturally.
In case you haven’t noticed, I’m really digging taking pictures on my balcony lately. The natural light makes my food look magical. Dontcha’ think? (Except for this smoothie pic-this one kind of looks disgusting!)
- Frozen Blackberries
- Sliced Peach
- Oikos Plain Yog.
- Vanilla Almond Milk
So pink and delicious!
Lunch was leftover Pea-Pesto Pasta from yesterday.
I added goat cheese and chopped tomato to the mix, and had watermelon for dessert:
I had to work today from 2 to 8 p.m. I made a hummus, roasted red pepper, tomato, and cucumber wrap to eat for dinner during my shift. I love working at a cafe! I also made myself a vanilla-almond iced soy latte. I also love that I can control the amount of syrup that goes into my drink.
No pictures because, well, I was at work! Sorry!
Now, I’m home and just inhaled a bowl of popcorn.
Tell me about some of the perks of your job.
Have a great Friday! <3