As You Read This…

I am sitting in the waiting room of the Breast Center at Albany Medical.

My body is pressed firmly against the back of the chair. My arms are straight down beside me. My elbows are locked. My hands are grasping the sides of the seat cushion. My finger nails are scratching. My legs are shaking. 

Jeff sits beside me and rubs my back, as I try to breathe in, out, in, out, in…

My name is called.

I walk into what looks like a clothing store fitting room. I remove my shirt and my bra, and wrap a medical robe around me.

I exit the ‘fitting room’, and enter a room full of women. Women who are sitting, waiting, and wearing similar robes. They are much older, and flash sympathetic smiles in my direction. They think, she is too young to be here. Or, maybe that’s only in my head.

I sit. I wait. I stare at the wall. My feet are tapping, as I breathe in, out, in, out, in…

My name is called.

I stand, my arms wrapped around my stomach to keep my robe closed.

I enter the exam room. The door closes.

I wait.


A Guest Post I wrote for Fit Chick In The City. Originally Published July 21, 2010.

At an annual check-up in May 2007, my OBGYN found a lump in my right breast. “That’s a cyst,” he said very seriously, and handed me a referral to have a mammogram and ultrasound done. That afternoon, while shopping with a friend for an upcoming beach trip, I couldn’t bear to try anything on. I didn’t want to take off my shirt. I didn’t want to think about it at all.

A week later, I had an ultrasound done, and the technician determined that it was a false alarm. There was nothing there. Relieved, I moved on and forgot about it.

In February 2010, while doing a self-exam in my shower, I felt the lump again. This time it was more noticeable. It had always hurt to touch, but this time it felt bigger and hurt more. So, I made an appointment with a different doctor. I got another referral for a mammogram and ultrasound, and cried the rest of the night.

My boyfriend,Jeff, took me to my 8 a.m. appointment at The Breast Center in St. Peter’s hospital in Albany. Unlike my appointment in 2007, where the doctors decided that a mammogram was unnecessary, the mammogram was the first test I walked into that day. Wearing a paper robe, and sitting vulnerably in waiting room with women 20 to 30 years older than me, I wondered what they were thinking. Were they asking themselves “why is this 20-something year old girl here to get a mammogram?” I had no idea what to expect. Thinking back now, I remember my mother telling me in 2007 that mammograms were supposed to hurt, but I wasn’t thinking about it then.

My name was called.

I walked into the room, and took off my robe. The woman explained that she was going to squeeze my breast between two plates and that it might be uncomfortable. That was an understatement. The pain was unbearable. Not only am I an A-cup, but my right breast hurts all the time without having two plates squeezing it together. I started to freak out. I have anxiety problems, and I suddenly felt light-headed, and couldn’t breathe. The plates were the only thing holding me up, and I said to the lady, “I think I’m going to pass out.” Next thing I knew, I was sitting in a chair with my head between my legs. Then, a nurse came in and took my blood pressure. When I finally calmed down from my panic attack, I went on with the test. The nurse handed me a cup of water and told me to eat something as soon as I was done with my tests.

After the mammogram, I was sent back to the waiting room. My ultrasound was up next. When my name was called, I stood up, crossed my fingers behind my back, and walked into the exam room.

“There is something there but I can’t say anything for sure,” the technician said. She left the room with my results, and came back what seemed like a half hour later. In reality, it was only 10 minutes. But 10 minutes is a long time to wait when you’re expecting the worst. She came back and told me there was an abnormality in my breast, and that nine times out of 10, it’s benign (non-cancerous) tumor.

With that news,an appointment with a breast surgeon, and no appetite whatsoever, I left the hospital with Jeff and went to a cafe for brunch. The week between that appointment and my appointment with the breast surgeon dragged. Scared beyond belief, I walked into that appointment fully expecting the worst. “I have breast cancer,” I thought, even though the ultra-sound technician told me it probably wasn’t the case.

The breast surgeon walked in with a nurse and they both stood over me examining my breast. It took him ten minutes before he admitted that he couldn’t find the lump. He left the room to check my films from the ultrasound. I was topless and vulnerable when he walked back into the room with not only the nurse, but another doctor. “We’re pretty sure its a fibroadenoma,” he said. “It has all the characteristics of one.”

A fibroadenoma is a benign, noncancerous tumor, that is firm, movable, rubbery, and painless, he explained. Painless, I asked? Turns out the pain I was experiencing was something completely different. Even if he removed the tumor, I would still experience breast pain, he said. The cause? Non-cyclic Mastalgia, breast pain and tenderness that occurs in women because of hormones. (Note- I’ve since read that a fibroadenoma may, in fact, cause this pain- but doctor knows best, right?).

The doctor gave me a few options. I could have a biopsy done, or I could wait six months to see if the tumor changed in size (as they often do). I chose the latter, and my follow-up ultra-sound and breast surgeon appointment is scheduled for the end of August. I left the doctor that day relieved, but not without doubt. Although fibroadenomas are noncancerous, having one slightly increases the risk that I may develop breast cancer.

I am still healing from a running injury, but I want to run the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in October. It’s more important to me than anything. I just hope my ankle is healed by then. I’m a newbie runner and have never done any races before.

I’ve only told a handful of people my story and only briefly referenced it on my blog. I never wanted people to feel bad for me or think I was not a healthy person. I am the last person any of my friends or family would have expected this to happen to. But, then I realized that something like this could happen to anyone, and there’s no reason to feel ashamed.


I am strong. I am beautiful. Things will be OK. I know it.

Thank you for reading <3

You may also like


  1. As I type this, sending good vibes your way. You will be OK, early detection is SO key. Please know that the non-cancerous tumors are not at all uncommon & this is the best case scenario you could be in, if you have to be in a situation like this.

    Thank you for being brave and sharing your story. Every story that is shared, brings more awareness. We used to live in a society that we didn’t talk about the tata’s, now it is at the forefront.

    Deep breathes and know you have tons of support & well wishes. If you need anything, you know where to find me:)

  2. You are strong. You are beautiful. And things are going to be okay. I am so proud of you – today you are looking fear in the eye and saying, “I will not let you get the best of me.” And when you read this comment, it will all be over and you will have emerged, victorious.

    Stay strong. I can’t wait for the update.

  3. Not only are you strong and beautiful, but you are admirable, insightful and have so much to offer to yourself and others.

    always thinking of you.. youre a rock star. dont forget it


  4. Thank you for sharing your story! I actully found a lump in my breast a couple of years ago, I was terrified. I was only 24 years old. I rushed to the doctors and he set me for an ultrasound right away. I remember laying there on the table while they were doing the ultrasound and the lady then left the room and came in with a doctor (the place I went to has a doctor on site all the time) The doctor looked at the screen and told me that she was concern about the lump because it had a shadow. She wanted to do a biopsy right then and there. I was scarde out of mind. Good this my husband came with me to my appointment, cause I needed him in the room with me. So the doctor performed my biopsy and siad I should receive the results soon. The time I had to wait was horrible. Fortunatly, the results were noncancerous and all was good. after the biposy, the lump disappeared, the doctor said it was a cyst.

    I judt wanted to share my story with you, just so you know you are not alone. I came across your blog, while looking for weight loss blogs, and I was touched by yout story, keep you head up and be strong!


  5. From someone who has been there done that I know how awful the wait is, the poking, the prodding and the more waiting. Sending you good thoughts of strength and great results to come.

  6. You are so brave! I cannot imagine the stress you are feeling with this looming over your head. I hope your next appointment shows that the tumor has not gotten larger.

  7. Thanks for sharing. I had a fibroadenomas a few years ago too. I had surgery to have it removed. I was told it’s not cancerous. Sometimes I worry about the future–like if I will develop breast cancer. For the most part, I don’t think about it. What will happen will happen.

  8. Thank you for sharing your story! Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes! This is my first time on your blog and I just wanted to say hi, looking forward to following you!

  9. This is a great post. You are right, you are strong and things will be okay. It takes alot of courage to post things like this, and that tells me you will be just fine. Early detection is crucial and having these things checked out is a huge step. xoxo

  10. Pingback: Rebecca «

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.