I’ve been meaning to write this post for a while.
When my coworker Michael started at my company back in July, I was psyched to have a vegetarian office buddy to bond with. While discussing faux meat products one day, I was shocked to learn he had never tried Trader Joe’s Masala Burgers. I got right to work drafting up a list of my favorite meatless meat products for him. When I saw Emily’s request for meat substitution suggestions pop up on Twitter a few weeks ago, I promised her I’d share my list.
Emily and about 30 others have vowed to go meat-free for the entire month of March and are tweeting and blogging about their experience under the hashtag #MeatlessMarch. I think it’s awesome, not only because I’m a vegetarian, but also because I stopped eating meat in the exact same way three years ago. I called my challenge Vegetarian February. It changed my life completely, and I’ll be writing a guest post for Emily on that very topic later this month. Meanwhile, here are some of my favorite faux meat products.*
Before you start reading, I should note that Jeff is most definitely not a vegetarian (quite the opposite, actually), and he enjoys all of the products I list here.
I love one on a toasted whole wheat bun with all the fixins’: lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, ketchup.
- Quorn Chick’n Nuggets (these me wonder what they put in actual chicken nuggets because they taste so similar)
- Trader Joe’s Chickenless Crispy Tenders
- Trader Joe’s
Best Deli Meats:
- Tofurky (I like the oven-roasted turkey)
[No pic-but picture the sandwich I had for lunch yesterday: Tofurky Oven-Roasted Turkey, Avocado, Sharp Cheddar, Tomatoes and Kale on Whole Foods Quinoa Flax Bread-delicious!]
Best Meat Crumbles:
- Lightlife Gimme Lean Crumbles
- Links: Tofurky
- MorningStar Farms sausage patties (probably the only MorningStar Farms product I like)
* I try to stay away from products with ingredient lists that are a mile long or with ingredients I can’t pronounce. I also try to limit my intake of fake meat products in general. I’d much rather make a meal from scratch than heat up a frozen product. But for those lazy nights when I get home from work and don’t feel like cooking, having these products on hand makes my life a lot easier.
There you have it- my favorite faux meat products! I hope you’ll try any enjoy them all!
How do you feel about meatless-meat products? Do you have any favorites?
Have a great Wednesday!
Note- I was not contacted by any of the companies listed to write this post. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.