It's The Watermelon's Fault

Dear Body Pump,

Thank you for killing my legs and making it so I couldn’t walk when I woke up this morning. I love you. I hate you. I’ll see you again sometime this week.



I haven’t been this sore in a while. This may sound weird but I love it! I love feeling a workout the next day.

Anyway, this post is going to be loaded with pictures because as I mentioned last night, my mom and I threw a baby shower for a close family friend today.

Blogland, meet Dana. Isn’t she beautiful!? She’s due in two weeks!! I have known Dana for a realllly LONG time. She and my oldest brother, Adam, used to date, and she babysat me when I was little. She’s like my sister. Even though she and my brother are no longer together, she and my family are still very close. My parents treat her like a second daughter. Since no one was planning a baby shower for her, my mom and I took it upon ourselves to plan one for her.

Let’s rewind a bit. I rolled out of bed this morning at 5:00. I’m not used to sleeping at my parents’ house in my old bed. I took advantage of the early morning quiet and caught up on my google reader. Oh, how I’ve missed reading blogs!

Breakfast came in two parts:

Part one included blueberries and a banana.

Part two included a not-so-pretty bowl of shredded wheat and more blueberries.

Plus life coffee…

In a Pepe’s Pizzeria mug. I know you’ve seen Pepe’s on the show Pizza Paradise on the Travel Channel. Haven’t you? Go there. You won’t be disappointed.

After breakfast, I headed out on baby shower errands AKA buying balloons and printing out baby shower games. When I got home, I inhaled a gigantic hunk of watermelon.

At 2 p.m. guests started to arrive. Check out the appetizer spread:

Chips, Homemade Guac, and Newman's Own Mango Salsa

Not going to lie- I ate my weight in fruit, chips, and guac. I had a couple pieces of cheese but wasn’t really feeling it. Today was all about the fruit.

Just look at this huge fruit bowl my mom made to go with lunch:

Watermelon, Blueberries, and Honey Dew

My mom ordered sandwiches from a local deli.

My plate:

She ordered a veggie sub just for me! It was stuffed with roasted eggplant, red pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce and mushrooms. I had pasta salad and more fruit on the side. Yum!

Dana’s husband, Don, stuck around for the shower. Dana thought it was silly for him to leave since it’s his baby, too.  Don was a good sport and played baby bingo with us. I think he actually enjoyed it.

Next, Dana and Don opened their presents:

And then it was time for CAKE!

Don’s mom got a beautiful blueberry-filled cake.

That’s right- I said BLUEBERRY-FILLED. *Dies*

So delicious.

Confession: I ate more watermelon after I ate this slice of cake. I couldn’t control myself. It’s the melon’s fault.

The baby shower wrapped up at around 6:00, but the day wasn’t over just yet.

My parents and I had plans tonight to take my little cousins out to dinner. They are here  from Florida visiting their grandparents.

Aren’t they cute?  Danny, Jared, and Brandon used to live in NY but moved to Florida around seven years ago. I only see them once every few years. I can’t believe how much they’ve grown since the last time I saw them!

We went to Woody’s All Natural for dinner.

Woody’s All Natural  “supports the Hudson Valley agricultural economy” by “sourcing its ingredients from local area farms.” Read more about the restaurant here. I reviewed Woody’s burgers once before I was a vegetarian.

I know what you’re thinking. A burger joint?? But you’re a vegetarian!!

That’s why I was happy to see this on the menu:

Sunshine Burger! Score! Actually, Woody’s had a handful of great vegetarian options. I could have ordered a grilled veggie or falafel wrap.  I was in the mood for a “burger” though.

My veggie burger was served with lettuce, tomato, and red onion on a whole wheat bun.  Delicious, as always.

We ordered fries and onion hay for the table.

I stole a few fries. I didn’t get a picture of them but they were awesome! They were fresh and not greasy at all. They tasted like they were just sliced from a potato.

I drank a New Leaf Unsweetened Black Tea with dinner.

Now I’m home and ready for bed. I had a great day! Tomorrow I’m going to a father’s day BBQ at my brother’s house with my parents, then heading back to Albany.

How did you spend your Saturday?

Have a great Sunday!

Continue Reading

Eating Locally at Woody's All Natural

I had a fabulous Christmas weekend.

It started on Saturday morning with a nice warm bowl of banana oats topped with cranberries, dark chocolate chips, and almond butter.

Then I went with my parents and my brother’s fiancée, Angela, to  stare at Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law for two hours.

Please go see this movie. It was excellent. I would see it again in an instant!

After the movie, we headed to a burger joint called Woody’s All Natural for lunch.

This place was awesome! Check out the website to learn more about their mission: “Eat Seasonal. Eat Local. Eat Together.” They describe their restaurant as a “new “old” fashioned burger joint…offering fast, simple meals for people on the go using fresh, wholesome ingredients.”


Their burgers are made from locally raised, grassfed/grain-finished beef.

The burger I ordered did not disappoint.

I ordered a plain hamburger (without cheese) with lettuce, tomato, and jalapenos. I topped it with a bit of ketchup and devoured the entire thing. It was totally worth it.

The inside of the restaurant was so cute too!

Angela and I decided to share one of the brownies they were selling at the counter.

It was HUGE. Since it was the size of my camera, I decided to store it in my camera bag until we got home.

When we got back to my parents house, I sliced the brownie in half diagonally. It tastes better that way! I gave Angela the bigger half.

Then I sliced my half in half again

OMG. Ammmmmazzzing.

After I was done with my “half” of the brownie, I died doing level one of the 30 Day Shred. I haven’t worked out since the day before I had my wisdom teeth extracted last Wednesday. The doctor told me not to exercise until I felt ready. I went for a walk with my brother on Christmas day but that’s the only physical activity I’ve done since last week. Laying in bed for 5 days straight after having surgery really takes a toll on your body. It made me pretty weak. Not to mention all of the crap soft foods I had to eat for a week straight (i.e. KFC mashed potatoes and Friendly’s milkshakes). Needless to say, my body did not like being shocked back into an intense workout with Jillian Michaels. My legs were shaking by the end and I was exhausted. I did the shred again this morning and it felt 10 times better but not 100% yet. I think it’s going to take about a week for my body to get back on track.

After my workout, I watched reality tv with Angela for the rest of the night. I got a little hungry at around 8:00pm so I had some of Angela’s leftover Whole Wheat Pasta and 1 Meatball


Plus a couple pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate for dessert.

Today I went to New Hope, PA with my parents for the day. I’ll save that recap for tomorrow since this post is already a million years long. 🙂

What did you do this weekend?

Have a great Monday!! <3

Continue Reading